Sunday, January 11, 2015

Shine On You Holistic Mental Wellness

Dear friends,

I have been inactive for a few months as Tselumiere Express. The reason is because I have discovered a passion even deeper than writing, that of promoting holistic mental wellness. 

This was sparked by an open mic hosted by the awesome Studio 89 cafe in Mississauga where I shared my poetry in public for the very first time! It was a beautiful experience where I felt Spirit leading me to share about my bipolar journey as two other artists before me shared about mental health too and coincidentally I just found out on that day that it was World Mental Health Day.
The response from the crowd was powerful and encouraging. I hadn't even gotten to my poem yet and they were already clapping! I shared the poem from my last entry A Sky Full of Stars and was overcome with emotion as I read it from my iPad. Later the hostess sent me a message thanking me for sharing my poem and that it had brought her to tears.

That evening inspired me to start Shine On You Holistic Mental Wellness. And I've had more opportunities to share my story publicly since. Each time I share I feel people's hearts opening to me and connecting with me even though we haven't met personally. And often people will come up to me afterwards and share about their own struggles or that of their loved ones. I'm realizing that by sharing my story it gives permission for others to share their own journey as well. When the stigma of mental illness is broken through openness and dialogue, there's an immediate kinship that happens. That's the power of the Bell Let's Talk campaign so I'm committing to keep sharing and opening the way for a revolution in mental wellness where people no longer have to suffer in silence.

You can learn more about this dream on my Facebook page Shine On You Holistic Mental Wellness. A website is in development so stay tuned! In the meanwhile if you would like to connect with me or help in this initiative please leave your comments below. Thank you for your love and support and I look forward to the adventures ahead! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment