Thursday, January 29, 2015

Never Say Never: Bell Let's Talk 2015

The popular expression "never say never" has become very true in my own life. The most recent example occurred this month, where I have been actively manifesting an opportunity for me to share my mental wellness journey publicly, to coincide with Bell Let's Talk Day on January 28th.

My former self would never believe that this could happen. I have always been an introvert who had a huge fear of public speaking. Presentations were my least favourite thing to do in school, and when I had to do them, all I could manage was to read verbatim from my prepared script.

This talk was different. I wasn't delivering it so I could earn good marks. I was sharing my story so I could inspire and empower my audience. 

I am super thankful that Nexus Youth Centre accepted my invitation to speak only a week before the big day. They welcomed me into their community with open arms last night and I feel it is the best place ever to begin my public speaking experience. About 15 youth attended the event and they were enthusiastic participants in our discussion. I felt safe, accepted and encouraged throughout my presentation...what a great atmosphere! So here's a shout out to the awesome staff and youth at Nexus...you rock!!!

I was also very happy to be able to secure a second speaker for our Bell Let's Talk evening. Josh is a teen mentor at Credit Valley Hospital's Child and Family Teen Run Group Therapy Program, created by social worker Dan McGann. He has a powerful story to tell and the youth were absolutely spellbound by his sharing. I see great things ahead for Josh and feel so glad that he chose life over suicide. 

Bell Let's Talk Mississauga 2015 has been an amazing experience from conception to completion. Moving way out of my comfort zone by cold calling potential speakers and venues + delivering a 45 minutes presentation without reading off a script has shown me that anything is possible. I look forward to more breakthroughs ahead as I pursue my passion of spreading holistic mental wellness. Thank you for your love and support, it is very much appreciated!


P.S. - Special shout-outs are definitely in order to two INCREDIBLE communities I belong to: Live Your Legend TorontoStart Small in 2015! Thanks guys for believing in me and encouraging me to pursue my dreams...you are the best cheerleaders ever!!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment